Sunday, November 15, 2009

Casting about in The Universe

Dear Blog, friends, family, anyone who chances upon this entry:

Some say that The Universe provides, if you “just put it out there.” The Universe, God, Allah, Yahweh, whoever, a higher power, whatever.

I’ve long been a cynic about such things, a pragmatist who seeks concrete explanations for the unexplainable. Hello!? I was a journalist for almost 20 years, more than 25 years if you count my college work. But these past few months have been convincing enough that maybe I shouldn’t be so cynical.

For various reasons, there has been a sea change in my life, and I’m starting to buy into some concepts that seemed too ethereal, indefinable for me to hang my star.

For many reasons, I should be more worried about “things” than I am right now. In the past, many have observed I “played the movie to the end” to anticipate any unfortunate outcome. I admit I’ve dreaded the proverbial “dropping of the other shoe” as I enjoy good times, good fortune.

Though some of that dread is still there, it has considerably diminished. I can’t tell you why specifically, but I’m more at peace now than I have been for years.

Maybe the Universe is tapping me on the shoulder to say “Relax, for God’s sake!”

Until recently, I stayed pretty much to myself, preoccupied with what was a small world – work, home, visits with family on the weekends, work, home, etc.

That all changed early in the summer due to a vacuum that opened in my life that The Universe, God, The Great Who- or Whatever filled right away.

I was yanked from that little world. A constantly expanding circle of friends – writers, artists, singers, amazing musicians, small business owners, faith-full folk, teachers – was put into my life for a reason, inspiring it immeasurably.

My life has been graced by live music each Saturday morning at the local guitar store, great ideas shared at the village book shop, compelling images offered by artists – all showing me there is so much to life to ENJOY, and not to worry about.

I’m exploring a rebirth of my artistic side – drawing in pastel chalks, thinking about picking up a paintbrush again, and attempting to write fiction. The last is something I’ve always doubted I could do since I’m a “reporter” who can only write what I see. One of those new friends pointed out to me that many great fiction writers started with what they knew – their own experiences. So, yes, why not me?

Relax, for God’s sake – yes, God or The Universe, I’m listening. I don’t have any other explanation for this calm that has taken over my soul. That is the ultimate gift: These friends – their life stories, views and talents – touch and enrich my own.

So I’m casting my line into The Universe, “putting it out there” looking forward to what I reel in.

Thanks for checking in on me – Cathie Lou

P.S. There's a sign hanging outside on my patio, where it seemed most appropriate before. In streamline moderne script, in my favorite color turquoise, it reads "Relax." I'm bringing that inside my home, hanging it in my kitchen so it reminds me every day to just "relax, for God's sake!"

No comments:

Post a Comment